Mixed Bean Stew with Sliced Avocado
Beans provide one of the best sources of fibre. Fibre helps to control the release of sugar from carbohydrates, which helps maintain steady energy levels and a feeling of fullness.
Preparation: 15 mins
Cooking: 35 mins
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 stick celery, finely sliced
1 medium carrot, diced
1 large red pepper, seeds removed and discarded, finely diced
½ tsp chilli powder
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ x 400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
½ x 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 x 200g can sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
½ x 400g can chopped tomatoes
250ml low sodium vegetable stock
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp lime juice
Pinch of salt
Pinch of ground black pepper
1 medium avocado, peeled, stoned and sliced
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan then add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot and pepper and cook for about 10 minutes, until soft.
2. Add the chilli powder, ground cumin and smoked paprika and cook for a further 2 minutes.
3. Add the black beans, chickpeas, sweetcorn, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the stew starts to dry out, add a little water.
4. Stir in the tomato purée, lime juice, salt, pepper and cook for a further 5 minutes.
5. Serve in bowls with the slices of avocado.
© The Vegetarian Society, recipe from Happy, Healthy and Delicious