Red Onion & Cheddar Quiche
Preparation time 60 minutes
Cooking time approx 40 minutes
1 kg shortcrust pastry
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 red onions, chopped
200g tomato, sliced
200g vegetarian Cheddar cheese, grated
6 free-range eggs
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Roll out pastry size and line two 9 inch flan cases. Allow
to stand in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes, then set to one side.
- Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onions for 5 minutes
then allow to cool.
- Spread the onion over the pastry base then cover with sliced
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese and parsley.
- Place the milk and eggs in a bowl and beat together. Add
a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture over the flans and bake for approx 40 minutes until set and golden.
- Serve with salad or new potatoes.
1. Go bistro style with artichokes and olives.
2. Try a fresh tasting, rustic version with wholemeal pastry, broccoli and goats cheese.
3. Go continental - throw in some roasted peppers