Peanut & Apple Roast
with Mushroom, Onion and Cranberry Gravy, roast potatoes, steamed broccoli
300g unsalted peanuts
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large carrot, grated
2 medium onions, chopped
½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp dried sage
1 large cooking apple, peeled and sliced
ground black pepper
2 dessertspoons shoyu
2 free-range eggs
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 thick slice wholemeal bread, crumbed
vegetable oil for cooking
For the Onion, Mushroom and Cranberry Gravy:
1 onion, sliced
1 tbsp vegetarian oil
500g sliced mushrooms
1 tbsp plain flour
1 pint vegetable stock
1 dessert spoon cranberry sauce
salt and pepper
- Place the nuts on a baking tray and lightly roast in a cool oven.
Do not over-brown. Cool and coarsely grind.
- Heat oil in large pan, add onion and garlic and cook over a low heat for 5
- Add carrot, herbs and black pepper and allow to cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the apple and soya sauce, cover and leave to cook on a low heat for 10
- Remove pan from the heat, beat the eggs and add to the pan with the ground
nuts and breadcrumbs.
- Mix well and check the seasoning.
- Place mixture in a lightly greased loaf tin and bake uncovered for 45 minutes
at 350F/180C/Gas 4.
- For the Gravy: Brown 1 sliced onion in a small amount of vegetable cooking oil. Add ½lb sliced mushrooms, cook for a further 2 minutes. Add 1tbsp flour and stir well. Add 1 pint of vegetable stock stirring all the time. Cook until the gravy thickens. Add a dessertspoon of cranberry sauce and season to taste.
Follow with fresh autumn fruit trifle.
- Allow to cool slightly before turning out. Garnish with slices of apple and sprigs of parsley.