Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 30-35 minutes
Can be vegan*
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, sliced
150g mushrooms, sliced
1 yellow pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
50ml vegetarian port or red wine
25g mixture of pumpkin and sunflower seeds, toasted
50g walnuts, broken
A handful of fresh parsley, rosemary and thyme, chopped
Salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
1 packet filo pastry (you will need to use 2 sheets for this recipe)
50g butter or vegan margarine*, melted
200g vegetarian Wensleydale cheese with cranberries or 180g soya cheese with 20g cranberries*
1. Preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2. Gently fry the onion until it softens, then add the mushrooms and pepper. Continue to fry for another 5 minutes. Finish with the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
3. Add the port and cook until evaporated.
4. Mix in the seeds, walnuts and herbs, then season to taste.
5. Transfer to a bowl, cover with kitchen roll and allow to cool down.
6. Fold out one filo pastry sheet onto a work surface and keep the rest under a damp tea towel to avoid drying out. Brush with butter and layer with another sheet.
7. Put the cool filling onto the pastry, so it covers the middle third of the pastry, leaving a 6cm gap at the top and bottom. Crumble the cheese over the filling.
8. Fold the top over the filling, followed by the bottom and sides. This should leave you with a nicely packed parcel shape. (Don’t over fill if you have too much filling.)
9. Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes, until cooked.
Or as an alternative, you could use the filling to create delicious stuffed mushrooms!
2. Bake in the oven 180C/Gas 4 for 15-20 minutes or until the mushrooms have softened.